Tuesday 4 September 2018

BLOGTEMBER | What Would You Do with Unlimited Money?



Hello my lovelies and welcome to Blogtember day 4. Today's post is a little bit different; I saw this question in a random Q&A post when I was browsing for different ideas for this month and I've been thinking about it ever since so I thought we'd open our minds a little and discuss it.

*DISCLAIMER* 
The topic of money can be a sensitive subject for some people but I just want to say that this post isn't to offend anyone or upset anyone. It's just a discussion and is not a way to brag or make comments and assumptions on what anyone else does with their own money etc. 

Every so often I can be quite materialistic, I'm not even going to sugarcoat it. I just love buying things! But from being a student and currently on the hunt for a job it means funds are super limited. My treat yourself lifestyle is on the radar (lol). In our day and age we all love the finer things and I don't mean the most expensive things or the best designer bag etc. I mean the majority of us love going out for things such as food, drinks, coffees, nights out, going to the cinema, going to see a show, a concert, going shopping, going on holiday etc. But when we spend our money on these things they usually get attached to memories and people. Which is a reason all of us go out and do things with people because life is about experiences and making memories with the people you love and care about. I can't speak for everyone but my friends and I are constantly going out for food and drinks so a lot of our memories together are attached to those things (typical uni students that is). For example at uni this year the majority of us turned 21 so obviously we went out to celebrate. Most of those celebrations ended up at a place called Revolution, also known as Revs, which is a food and cocktail bar. So whenever I think of Revs or just see a Revs in a different place it always reminds me of the girls because we went there so often this year for big celebrations together. 

Right back to the question; the phrase "unlimited money" to mean doesn't mean rich. When I think of the term I think of an unlimited amount of specific funds. So once you've spent that amount you instantly get a top up of the same amount. Do you guys get what I mean? 

So I did some research and discovered that to live at a decent standard you have to earn close to £20,000 a year which means you need to earn almost £350.00 per week. I'm shocked at that. Obviously you've got to pay your rent, your bills, your mortgage whatever and then whatever's left is yours to do whatever you wish with it. I think the reason I'm surprised is because on average at uni I've had to live off £500-£600 after my rent came out each term (3-4 months), which is nothing compared to nearly £350.00 each week. So for my current lifestyle £350.00 a week is a lot of money, let alone £20,000 a year. It might not be a lot to some of you but it is to me. 

So in our scenario you and I are going to be given £20,000 which you haven't worked for, haven't done anything for you've just been given it. And each time that amount runs out and you've spent it all you automatically get given another £20,000. So our next question is, what are we gonna do with it?

If I'm being 100% honest, if I ever saw anything I liked or I wanted I would probably just buy it without feeling too guilty and that would also apply to going out for food, drinks, nights out, events, holidays etc. Basically all my social life prayers would be answered with unlimited funds to go out and make memories etc. 

However aside from just treating myself (we all know I do that too often) I'd love to give back to my mum and dad. They've done a lot for me throughout my life and it'd be nice if I could treat them for how much they've always treated me. 

I'd also want to use that money to do more for other people. Whether that's helping people, doing charity work of some kind, donating to charitable causes etc. Or perhaps create something that donates all the money made to a certain charity etc. A YouTuber I watch called Kendall Rae, if you don't watch her you should because she is awesome and keeps it real. She does a lot of missing persons cases and conspiracy theories etc and she is one of my favourites for those categories so I'd recommend subscribing. But in her missing persons cases to raise awareness for the families and of course the person who has gone missing, every month she does a collaboration with a charity called 'Thorn' which was co-founded by Ashton Kutcher and his ex-wife Demi Moore. They build defence tools to stop children being human trafficked and harmed by sexual abuse which I think is just amazing. Honestly social media can be a scary place for young people and this kind of thing actually happens so much more often than you would think it does all over the world. Ashton Kutcher actually gave up his day job of being an actor to put all his hard work into this which I think is incredibly kind hearted and just such an inspiring and amazing thing to do. The collaborations allow her subscribers to create different t-shirt designs that relate to her channel and all of the things she stands for. The t-shirts in the past have been really different and original and the designers that have worked on them are so talented. 100% of that money that people spend on that product goes to Thorn which is awesome. This kind of thing is such an inspiring way to get people involved and express creativity whilst still giving something to those people or charities that need help and for yourself as the donator to get something back that will remind you of something good you did. I'm not suggesting that people donate to charities to get a reward from it as obviously you donate to charity because you care about the cause and you care about other peoples well being. But I think it's nice when you can do good and receive something nice back to show that the company or charity appreciate that you care enough to support them. Whether you buy a product their making to raise money or just donate £1.00. 

A lot of people say money doesn't buy happiness however I don't think that statement is 100% true. As you grow up you realise that money is a priority for a lot of things in life much like a lot of the things I've made reference to in this post. But I think money can buy happiness if it's used in the best way with the best intentions. Whether that is treating yourself to a doughnut because you've had a hard day, giving some of your money to charity no matter how big or small because anything can help, treating your mum and dad to lunch, making memories with your friends, even treating your friends for all you do for one another, buying some food and drink for a homeless person you see to let them know you do care about their well being, letting yourself splurge on something as a treat because you've been working so hard. So I truly do believe money has the ability to enhance other peoples lives as well as our own which contributes to our happiness. But it's the kind hearted-ness given to us from others and that we then give back to others that creates true happiness and love.


I hope you guys enjoyed this post, I'm aware it was a bit different. But I hope it got your brains thinking a little bit. Let me know in the comments what you would spend an unlimited amount of money on. 

 Don't forget guys to follow me on all of my social media so you can keep up to date with everything I am doing! You can follow me on Twitter @katielouj0hnson, Instagram @katiej0hnson, Pinterest @katielouj0hnson, and Bloglovin' @ Katie Johnson


Thank you so much for reading and I'll see you tomorrow! 


Love,

Katie

  

No comments:

Post a Comment