Thursday 20 April 2017

Is KIKO Makeup Worth The Hype?! | Face of First Impressions




Hello my lovelies, I hope you're all well and have had a fab week. So today I have some first impressions for you with all of these products above, apart from the nail polish. So let's just get straight into it, enjoy. 


So recently I've not been the biggest fan of how my foundation has been applying and I figured it might potentially be because I haven't used a primer in months. So I decided to try a new one and see if that helps me out. The primer I bought is Rimmel London's Fix & Protect Makeup Primer with SPF25. My very first impression was, "SPF25 - that seems pretty high claim for a drugstore primer." I don't think many primers are that high in SPF which already makes it a great summer primer as it's going to keep my face protected from the sun. It also claims to be anti-pollution, anti-stress, have a protective shield, and is skin perfecting. 

The texture really does feel like sunscreen but doesn't smell like sunscreen. If you've ever used a primer from Rimmel before, they seem to have a particular type of smell and I have no idea what the smell is but I think it smells nice and weirdly enough quite relaxing. Maybe that's the anti-stress element of this product. 

To get the product out of the bottle you have to squeeze it out, so I squeezed it directly onto my skin and then just blended it in with my fingers. The product itself is quite runny which I don't see as a problem and it was really easy to blend in. As well as the 5 bold claims on the front of the bottle, it makes 2 more bold claims on the back. The product states to also it can be worn to create a smooth skin canvas for an easier and prolonged makeup application, which is the whole point of a primer in the first place. But, it also says you can wear it alone as a brightening protective shield. I've used this product for both purposes and I can happily say it does both really well. First thing I notice once it's been applied to my face is how soft my skin is to touch. When I drag my fingers across my skin it feels super soft and smooth and ready for my foundation, concealer, powder etc to be applied over the top. It definitely made my foundation and concealer easier to blend over my skin which was fab. As for lasting wear throughout the day, it kept all my makeup in place, it didn't budge throughout the day and I think it kept my t-zone oils at bay for longer than usual.  

As for wearing it on it's own, I would definitely agree that it's a brightening protective shield. The product itself is white which is most likely how the brightening effect is achieved on the skin. Once it's settled in it kind of blends in with your skin colour/tone. Along with it making my skin super smooth and soft, it also kind of air brushes the redness I have on my cheeks. It doesn't get rid of it but it makes it look a lot softer and more blurred. Which overall, makes my skin look healthier and makes my makeup look better. I really like this primer. 



Now moving onto the exciting part and the main reason you guys are all here as the name is in the title, KIKO Makeup! Now I've heard loads about KIKO Makeup, which for the most part is all good things. I'm pretty sure KIKO is more of an American based makeup brand particularly because I've never seen a shop here in the UK with KIKO makeup products in or  KIKO makeup shop in any shopping centres, until now! 

So when Mum, Dad, Chloe, and I went to Milton Keynes on Good Friday, we went into the centre where there was a KIKO Makeup shop. Chloe and I have been to the Milton Keynes Centre A LOT and we've never seen it there before, so we decide to go and have a browse around. Regardless of the 20% off sale for Easter, my first impression was the price. I was really surprised at the price range. There we're products as cheap as £2.00 and as expensive as £25.00. Which to be honest, isn't too bad as there are some high end brands where it's like £30 for just a foundation.  


As you can see, it's clear I bought the SMART eye shadows. With the 20% off deal, the SMART eye shadow range was only £2.00! *screams with shock* however, without the 20% deal the eye shadows we're only, £2.50! *screams with even more shock*. Even if they weren't 20% off I still would've bought them because £2.50 for an eye shadow is damn good. Chloe and I were a bit ecstatic when we went in the store because we just couldn't believe how cheap it actually was. I always thought KIKO was a high ended brand which clearly I was wrong. 

So I got three eyeshadows in the shades 15, 21, and 22. 15 is a gorgeous bright pink shade with an undertone of blue glitter, 21 is a stunning pastel lilac shade with a hint of some kind of shimmer in, and 22 is a beautiful pastel perri-winkle blue shade with the same hint of some kind of shimmer in. 

So I just ran a mauve pinky shade through my crease first as a transition colour and then applied that pastel lilac shade on a fluffy brush through my crease. Look how pigmented that shade is! Oh my god, I can't even express how impressed I was with this. I used a pastel purple before and it was super light and took quite a while to build up. But with this, I only needed to dip my brush into the eye shadow a couple of times in order to achieve what you're seeing above. It blended so easily and there was no fall out! Like seriously, absolutely none even when quite a bit was applied to the brush. 




I then took the beautiful perri-winkle blue on a flat shader brush and firstly just pressed it on to my lid and then I lightly blended it into that purple. Seriously, look how gorgeous that is. Considering how light the blue is in the compact, this pigmentation is ridiculously amazing. 




They seem to just pop even more with my whole face done and the colours look gorgeous as a faded lower lashline blend. Absolutely adore these and I wanna buy them all. I can't believe how good these are for the price, the pigmentation is amazing, they feel soft and they blend extremely well, I also just can't believe that there's no fallout at all, literally I applied so much blue to my lids and no fall out whatsoever (super impressive), and the colours are the true definition of the word beautiful. I love these, I want more! 


So, now we're back tracking. If I'm doing a bright or dark big fancy eye look where I know I'm gonna have to do a lot of blending and potential wipe aways from fallout, I'll always do my eyes first and then I start my face. So I applied my foundation as per usual and then we moved onto concealer. If you've been here a long time now, you will know that my go to concealer is the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer. Literally, every body I know either uses this or has used this at some point in life. I have never ever strayed from this concealer, I have been using it since I was 13 years old, when I first started using makeup. Until now... 

So I've been needing to buy a new concealer for ages as my Lasting Perfection has now ran out. I'm in the shade 01 Fair and for some reason whenever I go to buy a new concealer, they never have my bloody shade. Is everyone 01 Fair now? So I asked the woman and she was like '"Nope, we've got no more." 

But as I really, really, really needed a new concealer (I'd been living without one for 2 whole weeks - I was really starting to see the effects of not being able to use one) it then meant Chloe and I spent 20 extra minutes in Superdrug trying to decide on what concealer to buy. As I'd never used any others apart from my Collection one you can imagine it was a struggle. But, I finally decided to give Rimmel London's Match Perfect a go in the 010 Ivory. 

So this concealer claims to be a 2 in 1 skintone adapting concealer and highlight containing vitamin c and e and apparently wears for 13 hours. 


So this picture above is me with the concealer on my face, apologies if you can't really see it well, the natural lighting was bright on this day. 

So as you can see from the picture it has concealed my face. It's has concealed my under eyes and concealed any blemishes on my face. So the main thing is, it's done it's job. However, although it looks super bright on this picture. I had to use more than one layer to get the coverage and brightness that my Lasting Perfection gives me in one application. But I eventually got my desired look of how I like my concealer. I think one reason it's more difficult is because of the applicator. The Lasting Perfection is just a dofer applicator which picks up enough product to draw and fill in the triangle shape under my eyes. But the applicator on this product is kind of like thin fan bristles which I'm obviously not used to using. And, you have to squeeze this product out of it's tube which then gets embedded into the fan bristles to then apply onto your face. I felt like I had to squeeze so much concealer out of the little bottle that I could've used it all.  

But in general, it does work - it does it's job as a concealer which is to CONCEAL. It covered my dark under eyes and blemishes on my face (eventually) and definitely did lighten up those areas. I think claiming it's a "highlighter" is a step to far. Although it's clearly brightening and has lightened those areas it is definitely not bright enough to be claimed as a "highlight" concealer. I'm also unsure if it is "skin adapting" like it says because I don't fully understand how a product can adapt to your skin tone as well as being a highlighter. I just don't get it. But overall, it's kind of just average to me, like it simply just does the job it is meant to. 

Right, moving onto our next first impression also comes with a little back story. So whilst Chloe and I were having a wander in Superdrug, we strolled down the bath and shower gel isle and we saw this little pinky/peachy box with a palm tree on (hint: it's the box in the middle of the first picture). 

So we were curious and had a look at what it was and it turned out to be a lip scrub and a lip balm. So the idea is you put the lip scrub on first to exfoliate your lips and then you apply the lip balm for nice smooth lips. All this sounds great and appealing in itself, but your probably wondering, why is that different to any other lip scrub? As a product, it's not. BUT, this lip scrub and lip balm was 0.49p! What?! Yes, it was 0.49p! This really made us wonder does it actually work? So we bought it and tested it out.

Before application
After application

I can 100% say this does work and really well actually. I cannot get over how ridiculously good this is for 0.49p! So, the product itself is called a Vita Lip by an Australian brand called Sugar Baby. Chloe and I have never ever seen any Australian branded products in the UK, let alone Superdrug! So it's a 'coconut infused lip scrub and lip balm collection enriched with finely granulated sugar to gently eliminate dry and chapped lips. Blended with grape seed oil and organic coconut oil. Vita Lip lip scrub provides hydrating and conditioning benefits rendering lips smooth and soft. Complete the perfect pout and active healthy looking lips with the coconut infused lip balm. Cocoa butter and Shea butter combined to condition, repair, and protect dry fragile lips - adding softness and shine. Instantly makes lips feel nourished and smooth with a concentrated dose of high performance ingredients including sweet almond and vitamin e.' 

I know that was a super long description of what the product is, but that is what it states on the box and it is 100% that. I really can't get over how amazing these products and this combination is for 0.49p. Like, what? So, you apply the sugar scrub onto your lips first and I just put it all over using my finger. I usually find sugar type scrubs hard to use in general any where on my body. I always find they are just too scratchy and too harsh on my skin but this sugar scrub is so soft. Like you can feel the sugar but it's not harsh to rub all over your lips which is such a delicate part of your face. Plus, the sugar tastes delicious. Like I don't like coconut as a flavour that much, but this isn't over powering with coconut because it's just infused. It's the perfect amount and tastes delicious. So once the sugar has been scrub all over and my lips are fully exfoliated, you just wipe it away and apply the lip balm. The lip balm is really thick but because it comes out of a tiny hole in the tube means you can't apply too much but it does mean it takes a bit of effort to get it out the tube for both products. It's a really pretty pinky colour and makes your lips look really healthy and shiny.

In both images above you can see before the application my lips are a little dull and they're not chapped or dry but they're not as voluminous and full as I like them to be. And in the image after the applicator they are more evened out in colour and shape and they're ready for lip liner and lipstick to be applied. 

Both Chloe and I are absolutely obsessed with this little collection, it is ridiculously good for 0.49p! If you guys can find this little box in Superdrug, seriously pick it up! 





























Then of course I just finished off this makeup look by applying my Maybelline The Falsies Blackest Black mascara which makes these eye shadows look even better - especially made my eyes pop. And then I applied just some lipstick and the lipstick I am using non-stop at the minute is Rimmel London's Vintage Kiss which as you can see is this gorgeous mauve pinky shade.

Well my lovelies, that is it for this post. I hope you guys enjoyed and gives you some ideas if you want to try out these products. Let me know if you like these first impressions type of posts and I'll definitely do more. 

Just to let you guys know, the Q&A I recorded with Chloe on Wednesday is all edited and ready to go for when the post will be uploaded. I'm hoping to upload it either Friday or Saturday. 

I'll talk to you guys again soon but bye for now. 

Love, 

Katie 


No comments:

Post a Comment